We are around 6 weeks from Christmas and things are starting to get crazy. Work is getting busy, Christmas parties are starting, it’s time to drag out the Christmas decorations and to get cracking on getting all the gifts.
Here is my quick tips for Christmas!
- If you partake in Advent Calendars – grab them early. Sometimes the ones you really want sell out quickly. I picked up ours about a month ago and got both the kids a Smiggle calendar this year. I can’t wait to show them! The first of many surprises.
- Elf on the Shelf – if you are thinking about getting one they are a lot of fun, but remember they are also a lot of work. There has been many times where I have jumped out of bed at 3am as I forgot to move the Elf!
- Santa. My kids who are 8 and 5 still believe in the magic of Christmas so get very excited by Santa. However do consider what gifts he brings, as once he doesn’t come anymore their expectation of gifts will need adjusting. For some, that means Santa brings big, expensive gifts that eventually slows down as they get older. I also know other families who ensure all the good gifts come from mum & dad so the kids appreciate their parents rather than Santa for all the cool gifts! For us, we just do a mixture.
- Christmas Hangover. Let’s be honest – this happens to the best of us. We all get so caught up in the magic of Christmas, that we overspend and come January, have a serious financial hangover and spend the first few months of the New Year catching up. The best way to overcome this is to set a budget and do a list and do not waver from it! Be realistic with what you can spend and stick to it!
- Enjoy it. It is a crazy time of year, but amongst all the madness what is most important is that everyone is happy and together. So if you burn the ham or forget the dessert or Santa forgets to stop by – remember it is not the things that matter, its the people.